Sunday, July 31, 2005

"God of Wine" by Third Eye Blind

I have been making lists all of my life and sometime during high school I wrote:
1. Win Wimbledon
2. Publish book by 24
3. Be an astronaut
4. Win first of three Oscars by 30
5. Buy oceanside home at 35
6. Be well-spoken by 19
7. Know what I want to be by 17, and if not then, definitely by 21

Today the goals I listed were:
1. Save 1/3 of annual income for emergency fund
2. Save a rotating $3000 for vacation
3. Save for downpayment for a house (look into low-down payment options, duplex, condos)

This list appears in an Excel spreadsheet where I have planned how my money will be spent through four phases of my life (paying off credit card and buying car; paying off 1/2 of car and preparing to move; moving and paying off the remainder of car; saving for home).

The first is a list of dreams that all kids growing up should have. The second list is a plan.

I saw people this past weekend and growing up seemed to be a theme. Men handle it worse than women. The decisions we've made--sometimes the decisions we continually fail to make--are causing a divergence. Sometimes I am happy when I see this happen, for example, when somebody seems to have really found their voice, their confidence. Sometimes it makes me sad, for example, when somebody is controlled by the same issues they had when they were in high school and just can't seem to find their way. Friendships change the more we get to know ourselves. I wonder how the value of shared histories will diminish, I wonder how new ones will be born.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home